Happy as a …

“Don’t touch that squirrel’s clams! It’ll make him crazy!
~ Willy Wonka (if he were talking about mollusks)

clam 300x294 Happy as a ...

by http://www.stickycomics.com/happy_clams

ITALIAN LESSON: clam = vongola

Just a random thought: I just uttered the words “happy as a clam” and then wondered, why are clams so damn happy anyway?

Perhaps it’s because they enjoy living in the deep blue sea and cavorting with mermaids. It appears they have a no-stress attitude, like “ya eat me, ya eat me” kind of mentality (if they even have a brain), and I’m sure they’re good friends with SpongeBob and his crew.

Hey, when you can yell “EAT IT RAW!!!” to someone and stand behind the statement 100%, that’s pretty funny to me.

ponge 300x209 Happy as a ...

BONUS ITALIAN LESSON: TO CLAM UP = Fare scena muta

Consider this a WIKI of sorts — here’s what I dug up on clams: It’s been suggested that open clams give the appearance of smiling, but the derivation is more likely to come from the fuller version of the phrase, “happy as a clam at high tide,” since high tide is when clams are free from predators.

The phrase originated in the north-eastern states of the USA in the early 19th century. The earliest citation is from a frontier memoir called “The Harpe’s Head – A Legend of Kentucky” c. 1833.

So, who or what in your life makes you feel “happy as a clam”? Don’t worry, I won’t make you say it!

Please share in the comments section HERE.

10 Responses to “Happy as a …”

1. barbara says:

My puppies always make me happy as, well happy as I used to think clams were.
    b
    barbara recently posted..My Dog Wrote His BiographyMy Profile

@ Barbara:
    Any of our puppies are certainly much happier than any clam! :)
    "Me" recently posted..Happy as a …My Profile

3. Skelly says:

This post is great!!!! Awesome quote from Willy Wonka! Reminds me of the clams and spaghetti I ate in Sanremo, Italy in September.

@ Skelly:
    Glad you liked! MMMM… did someone say clams and spaghetti?
    "Me" recently posted..Happy as a …My Profile

5. SusieR says:

I’ve always wondered if clams were really happy. Thanks for being a clam WIKI today! ciao – xos
    SusieR recently posted..A Life Set ApartMy Profile

@ SusieR:
    You are welcome. Funny, how many people do you know that add the
    “high tide” part?
    "Me" recently posted..Happy as a …My Profile

My husband’s humor. Chillaxing with my nieces. Traveling with my sister. Long table, family gathered ’round, laughter and wine flowing. Gorgeous art, soulful music. A great dress that fits perfectly. Books, beaches, blogging. These are a few of my favorite things.
    Style Maniac recently posted..Hot Style In The CityMy Profile

You do have great taste, @ Style Maniac!
    "Me" recently posted..Happy as a …My Profile

9. Hi Lee, love your blog, it reminded me that I didn’t eat any vongolas when I was in OBX. Say hello to Andrew, Elton and Sophie (did I get their names right?).

@ Wilson (aka Bobby):
    I made up for you in the vongola department, so no worries my friend! Thanks so much for stopping by for a cup of madness! :)
    "Me" recently posted..50-100% Chance of Bullsh*t!My Profile