Palm Sunday: Church with a Door Prize!

“I’m Jewish. I don’t work out. If God had wanted us to bend over, He would have put diamonds on the floor.” ~ Joan Rivers.

As a kid, one of my favorite days to head to church with Mom & Dad was Palm Sunday.  Normally, my favorite  treat was the communion wafer (one was ok, but they really should have passed a bowl around – like a bucket of popcorn. And I know that would’ve been a hit with the “audience” because I always heard growling tummies, sometimes over the rumble of snores).

Palm Sunday was SOUVENIR DAY!!!

All parishioners were lucky enough to go home with a door prize of fresh palms! And I loved those palms — sometimes I’d grab a couple of extra fronds on the way out for my “sick” sister at home (yeah, the one I didn’t have).  Ok, call me greedy, but this technique I learned from my Dad, who would always tuck an extra Italian roll or Granny Smith in his pocket at the breakfast buffet (the scrambled would’ve been a bit too messy).

(ITALIAN LESSON:  Sunday = Domenica)

palm crosses 300x226 Palm Sunday: Church with a Door Prize!

P.S. One of my least favorite church days:  Ash Wednesday (you can read that post here: http://www.madnessmomandme.com/2010/02/sadistic-priest-burns-little-girl-with-cigar/ )

Be a good parishioner and head home here: www.MadnessMomandMe.com & Get your own mental trinket by signing up for the MADNESS FEED: http://madnessmomandme.com/feed

7 Responses to “Palm Sunday: Church with a Door Prize!”

1. Professore says:

LOL. My mother was in charge of setting up for communion, so I had access to BOXES of those little wafers, which are pretty good with peanut butter or just plain in stacks of 15 or 20.

Just found out that Palm Sunday was Mom’s LEAST favorite church day, because Dad always went a bit too palm-crazy. Yup, he would grab a couple of extra handfuls on the way out, and it was mom’s job to find a place in the house for all these things, and we only had so many crosses!

3. Irene says:

So every parent did that. And what was the thing about ‘if a person was your really close friend, it was their duty to bring you palms, especially if you didn’t make it to church, but even if you did.’ My mother always attached some big meaning to all those little niceties between friends. Its all good, she made it all the more interesting with ‘Oh no, that is bad luck’ or ‘If a good person prays for you, you will be blessed.’ Well, we don’t ask bad people to pray for us, do we? Anyway, yes, Palm Sunday is definitely church with door prizes, and they can be made into all manner of craft items also, of course mainly the little crosses. Don’t knock them, they are in the graves of both my kitties in my friend’s backyard, and were put in with much crying and praying on our parts. Sorry, did not mean to put a sad turn on your funny post!!!! I know they are in Heaven!

@ Irene:
    Awww – that is so sweet Irene :)
    "Me" recently posted..Lil Bits & Pieces (what’s your nickname?)My Profile

5. [...] Palm Sunday: Church with a Door Prize! [...]

6. Mary Sue says:

I love this! I never got the chance to have communion wafers since I went to a different church. I love the idea of grabbing more to help the empty tummies from fasting. What DO they taste like?

Also the comment above about spreading the wafers with peanut butter! Sacreligious, I think, but so funny.

I would love to hear more memories of church experiences.
    Mary Sue recently posted..How to Cook a Thanksgiving Dinner (add funny title here) (OK, no funny title yet…) (sigh…still waiting for the funny title to hit me) (perhaps by Thanksgiving, the funny title will come) (OK, just post the darn thing anyway) (SIGH)My Profile

@ Mary Sue:
    Thanks for stopping by! Hmmm..it’s hard to say what those wafers taste like — I’d say each is like a little sliver of a cracker/styrofoam combo.
    "Me" recently posted..Naughty or Nice?My Profile